It's quite amusing to me to tell people that I now willingly have a bin full of worms and garbage on my front porch. I am so excited about this. My vermicompost bin is underway! Chris has quite enjoyed feeding them, which is really cute.
Today the big outdoor bin gets "officially" underway, because I have the supplies. I am so excited about this. We will be reducing our landfill waste significantly, and that's something I can do to make a difference.
Consequently, to get my "Master Composter" Certification, I have to do 10-15 hours of service. I am going to try to devote this to teaching friends and family how to have their own bins and piles. I'm thinking a "fermentation and fermentation" party in the fall (maybe earlier if I feel confident in my composting knowledge and practice by then!) - that's a composting and wine party. I'll be handing out flyers door to door on the street, and offering to have the supplies at my house to start new bins with my neighbors for a fee less than $10.
I'm such a geek about this, but I really am excited!
Saturday, March 24, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
OK, we decided that we would like to start composting also BUT can you help us from afar? Is it simple enough to just follow directions?
:)
I probably can!! I definitely have a little handy dandy starter guide from the county that I can send, which I think will be a big help!
Please do send! Matias is actually excited about it - everything we tossed this weekend he said "that could have been composted!". I noticed also that in my Living magazine from last month (just reading now...) that there's an article about composting so I'll mix my Ms. Nikki & Martha smarts to get myself going on this!
I'll add it to my "to do" list for this weekend!
Post a Comment