Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Guy Who Works At the Gym Update

Last night, as I was checking into the gym, "Monty" said hello to me, and asked me who I was. Completely normal. I just said "I'm fine. I'm here." Because I REALLY didn't want to be, and I literally dragged myself there, with Chris behind me cheering me out the front door at home.
I started to walk away from the desk, after I had signed in, and toward the locker rooms.
Monty starts to walk in the same direction and says, "You know I have a crush on you, Nicole."
I dismissed him and said "You're silly." I was totally shocked.
He looked at me and said "I'm being serious, don't you believe me?"
And I said "Well...um...I'm flattered, I guess?"
Then Monty said, "You GUESS? Aww man, I'm going to stop now." And walked away.

And that was the end of our conversation. And now it's TOTALLY awkward. He walked away before I could tell him that I was married, and he barely looked at me as I left (not that this is a bad thing!).

Chris really wants me to either make a point of saying something to him tonight when I go back, or calling his manager. And I'm not a big fan of confronting conflict. I told him I'd rather go check out the YMCA's gym and look into joining there. Ha.

8 comments:

Scarlett7d said...

Awkward!! I would totally just change to another gym. I don't like conflicts either. However, after I changed gyms I would contact his manager so he doesn't stalk some other woman. Maybe he already does hit on multiple women or maybe he really does have a crush on you - either way he is out of line in his job. Best of luck!!

Nikki said...

I agree, he is out of line. And it really might be best for me to contact his manager AFTER i'm gone. What sucks is that I really might have to incur a HUGE fee increase to change gyms. I am NOT looking forward to that!

Emmett said...

It can be awakward in situations like that. I feel the best way to handle it is being honest.

Jenn said...

I'd go with something really straightforward and just say, "I didn't know how to react the other day. What I should have said is I'm flattered, but I'm also married and I love my husband." Simple, to the point, and probably make the embarrassment on both sides better. It will make him see everything in a different light and he probably won't act weird around you anymore once he knows it isn't really personal or about him.

Mary :: A Merry Life said...

Wow, that is awkward. If you never wore your wedding ring for three years of working out it might not totally be his fault for developing a crush because he probably thought you were single. And he did say he was going to stop, so if he does there wont really be a problem besides it being a little awkward for a while. You probably should have verbally told him you were married because honesty is best in this kind of situation. If it keeps happening you should talk to his supervisor but switching gyms seems drastic.

Vi (pronounced Vy) said...

i think the manager might understand if you want to transfer gyms and should make some kind of exception about the price/money.

Vi (pronounced Vy) said...

i'm doing a vday giveaway at my site. will you enter and pass the word on?
http://www.shebecameabutterfly.net/?p=973

Vee said...

Everything ok? IT's been a while since you posted about the gym, I'm just hoping you found a way to ignore him. Just let us know... Vee at www.veegettinghealthy.blogspot.com